Installing a beautiful swimming pool in your backyard is a tremendous investment that will provide many years of “returns” in the form of happy memories with family and friends, improved health and fitness, and maybe even a higher value on your home. That said, you can get even more from that investment by operating your pool as cost-effectively as possible.
Great Ways to Save a Few Bucks
Whether you are a new pool owner or have been operating your pool for so long that you’re somewhat on “autopilot,” the twelve tips below will open your eyes to significant savings.
- Replace your liner and cover at the same time to Save $200. Our promotional offer allows you to save big on select Latham inground liners. Plus, when you purchase one of our Ultra-Seam® Liners along with a Latham Safety Cover, you receive a significant rebate on the cost of the cover. Get two great products at an unbeatable overall price!
- Cut energy and chemical costs by installing an automatic safety cover. A cover can reduce evaporation and heat loss by as much as 70 percent and also keep windblown dirt and debris out of the pool when it is not in use. These two factors reduce the amount of chemicals needed to keep the water sanitized and the amount of time you spend cleaning, so you can spend more time enjoying your pool!
- Cut back on heater use. Enhance the power of your pool to refresh you on a hot day! Lowering the temperature in your pool by just one degree can save as much as 10 percent in fuel costs for a gas pool heater.
- Document and stick to a maintenance schedule. When you add it up, performing regular maintenance takes less time and is less expensive in the long run. Playing “catch up” on your maintenance is costly, both in terms of time and money.
- Extend the life of your winter cover by keeping it clean. Removing dirt and debris regularly keeps it from weakening or damaging your cover. Properly maintained, a cover can last 10 years or more. However, allow it to become punctured or torn and its useful life will decrease dramatically.
- Buy your chemicals before pool season begins and in bulk. Make the law of supply and demand work for you! And, always buy from a trusted pool supply source, not just any distributor. You may save a few pennies at the latter, but you will pay for the lower-quality product down the road.
- Invest in a robotic pool cleaner. These devices help keep your pool clean, which decreases the amount of chemicals required and saves you money.
- Protect vacuum heads, hoses, skimmer nets, wall brushes, and other equipment from damage. Having to replace them adds to your operating costs. To prolong the life of your equipment, store it in a weatherproof space.
- Use LED lighting. While more expensive than other lighting, LED lights use a fraction of the energy and last for many years.
- Landscape wisely. Planting tall shrubs upwind of your pool can reduce evaporation and thereby heating and water costs. Plus, they enhance the appearance of your backyard!
- Run your pump and filter at off-peak times. Set your pool pump and filter to run in off-peak times when most electricity companies charge less for power.
- Dispense stabilizer gradually to reduce the amount you use. Put the chemical in a sock, tie it, and place it in the skimmer to enable a gradual release.
Ready, Set, Save!
Every penny you save on operating your pool is a penny you can put toward enjoying your pool! From more toys to party supplies, there are much better places to put your money. If you decide to upgrade your pool with cool new features, or you just have general questions about installing or maintaining a pool, contact the Latham dealer near you today.