One of the questions we are frequently asked by swimming pool owners is what type of pool cover they should buy, an automatic safety cover or a solid/mesh safety cover. In many cases, the answer is both! Each type of cover has its advantages, and if you choose to get both, together they can give you the functionality you need year ‘round.
Making A Well-Informed Decision
If you are thinking about purchasing a pool cover, there are some key considerations to keep in mind. For automatic safety covers, the advantages include:
- Deploy with the flip of a switch
- Prevent debris from getting into the pool
- Strong and durable
- Reduce heat loss and water evaporation
- Best protection for keeping pets and children from accessing the pool
With solid or mesh safety covers, the advantages include:
- Great option for when pool is closed for the season
- Keep windblown material out of the pool
- Good protection for keeping pets and children out of the pool
What many pool owners do is use an automatic safety cover during pool season for its ease of deployment, cost savings, and high safety factor when kids and pets are likely to be around the pool, and a solid or mesh safety cover over the winter.
Pool Cover Maintenance Tips
Whichever type of pool cover you choose, here are a few tips for taking care of it:
- Especially in the winter, be sure the cover is tightly secured. This can help prevent wind damage.
- Keep an eye on the pool’s water level. If the water level drops too much, your cover won’t be getting the support it needs, especially if water collects on top of the cover.
- Remove debris regularly. Organic material can produce acid as it decays, and that acid can weaken a cover. Plus, accumulations of debris may attract animals whose claws can damage the cover.
- Remove snow/water promptly. If too much snow or water accumulates on top of the cover, it can cause damage. Be sure to have a pump in place so that it can remove any water that collects from rain or melted snow. If you do not have a pump, you will need to make sure to clear the water away manually as often as you can.
Let us Help!
The information above is a great start as you consider what type of pool cover(s) to purchase. If you want to learn more, don’t hesitate to contact the Latham dealer near you. We’re happy to answer your questions!