While there are pros and cons to every type of swimming pool construction, it would be hard to argue that any kind of pool could compete with fiberglass when it comes to ease of ownership and maintenance. From installation that can be completed in just 3-5 days in many cases, to a surface that stubbornly resists algae, there are many reasons that fiberglass pool owners are glad they made the choice they did.
What are the Advantages of Fiberglass?
People who have heard the buzz about fiberglass, but don’t yet have all the details will frequently ask us, “What are its advantages?” When they do, we humorously ask, “How much time do you have?” Not only are fiberglass pools the easiest type to own and maintain, there are many other benefits as well. They include:
- Quick installation. As mentioned above, a fiberglass pool can be in the ground and ready to use in a matter of days, as opposed to weeks (or even months) with other construction types. And, because a fiberglass pool is a one-piece unit, poor weather conditions have less of an impact on installations.
- Less cleaning required. The smooth, non-porous surface of a fiberglass pool makes it very difficult for algae to gain a foothold. Consequently, it makes it very easy for you to keep it clean.
- Corrosion resistant. Fiberglass resists corrosion, so it is an excellent option for popular salt sanitation systems.
- Fewer repairs needed. Unlike concrete/gunite pools, which must be patched or entirely resurfaced at times, or vinyl liner pools, which have to get new liners periodically, fiberglass pools require few, if any, fixes. And any repairs are quick and easy to perform.
- Natural insulation for lower operating costs. While a fiberglass pool looks much different than the pink stuff in your attic, the material is, in both cases, an excellent insulator. This helps keep your pool water warmer and reduces energy costs.
- Great durability. Fiberglass can flex in response to impacts or expansion/contraction of the soil that surrounds it, which makes it very durable.
- An array of options. Fiberglass pools can come with all kinds of features like molded steps, benches, and tanning ledges.
- A great green choice. The long life expectancy and greater energy efficiency of a fiberglass pool makes it very environmentally friendly.
- Lowest total cost of ownership. When you assess the cost to own and operate a fiberglass pool versus other types, the lifetime ownership expense is much lower with fiberglass.
A Can’t-Miss In-ground Pool Option
Again, there are many positive aspects to other types of pools, but if you’re looking for a pool that is easy to own and maintain, you can’t go wrong with fiberglass.